Friday, October 21, 2011

Predictions

Monday is the big day. Aaron is so excited. When I got home from work he eagerly asked, “Guess what Monday is?” It took me a few seconds to realize why he was so excited for Monday. I am looking forward to Monday as well, so I can start thinking of baby as a “he” or “she” instead of an “it.”
So does anyone want to make a prediction? As Aaron says, “the odds are good, 50/50.” Actually, the odds aren’t quite 50/50, because there is another possible outcome. Baby may not cooperate and might hide the gender. I certainly hope not, because we aren’t the only people excited to find out. However, baby has not cooperated for my doctor when trying to find the heartbeat. I had another appointment today where doc had to get out the ultrasound machine again because the Doppler didn’t work. Luckily the ultrasound machine had been fixed so I got the belly kind, but it still took my doctor a bit of time to find the heartbeat on it.
The Ancient Chinese Birth Chart says I’m having a boy but the Chinese Fortune Calendar says I’m having a girl. Aaron thinks we are having a girl. He says he has had more dreams with our baby being a girl than a boy. In most of my baby dreams, I don’t get to know what it is. But I think I have had one dream for each. I have to guess that it is a boy though, due to an experience garage sale shopping...
In July I figured out that we wouldn’t find out the baby’s gender until the end of October. Since the baby is due in March, I decided that I couldn’t wait until the end of October to do some shopping. After all, the garage sale season ends in October, and doesn’t start again until spring after the baby is born. I spent a few weekends this summer hitting the garage sales. In hindsight, it was probably very good for my wallet that I didn’t know the gender yet. Usually I ended up with just a couple unisex items at each sale. One Friday I managed to find several good garage sales and a thrift store across town. I came home with a pretty good haul. I showed Aaron each piece as I took off tags and put them in the laundry. As I held up one baby bib to show Aaron, I was surprised to see large writing across the back of the bib that I hadn’t noticed when I bought it. The bib had belonged to a boy, and his first name was written in sharpie. It happens to be the same name that we’ve picked out for a boy. “I guess we’re having a boy,” I told Aaron, and flipped the bib around so he could see the back.  
I tried really hard to purchase only items that were unisex, so as not to jinx us into having one or the other. However, one garage sale was all girls clothes, and I would have felt bad for not buying anything. So I picked out a cute shirt. Of course, I then had to even it up. At this point we now have a couple gender-specific items for either a girl or a boy. We’ll be happy with whatever baby turns out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment